Next time you’re in a hurry and don’t want to waste your time looking for parking space, you can simply leave your car at home and send a private car your way. When you’re tired of driving through traffic, you can request a ride and relax until you get to your destination.
These apps offers speed, convenience and safety. You can book a ride in just a few minutes. No need to second guess if you’re getting a ride or not because these apps give you instant confirmation on the status of your booking. Feel safe and secure when you use these services because you have access to the driver’s name, plate number, and phone number. You can also send the details of your ride with family and friends.
The app allows riders to connect with driver-partners and vise versa.
Here are the steps that you can follow to avail of Uber or GrabCar services.
1. Download the app. You can download Uber for iOs, Android, Windows, and Blackberry. If you don’t have a smartphone, you can access your account and request a ride on their mobile website. You can download the GrabCar app for iOs or Android.
2. Create an Uber or GrabCar account. You need a valid email address and phone number. Create a strong password and agree to terms and conditions and privacy statement.
Fill in your complete name, phone number, and preferred language. Wait for a text SMS to verify your phone number.
The next step is to provide your payment information. You can either add a credit card or debit card.
Wait for an email to confirm your account registration. After confirmation, you can start using to app to request a ride.
3. To get started, open your app then go through each option.
Vehicle choices – Use the slider at the bottom of the screen to see the available options. Choose between the more affordable sedans or premium sedans (executive sedans, AUVs and SUVs) and see corresponding fare estimate.
Fares are charged by both distance and time. Standard rates may increase during rush hour.
Base fare – P30.00
Per KM – P12.00
*GrabCar does not charge per minute.
Base fare – P70.00
Per KM – P15.00
*GrabCar+ does not charge per minute.
UberBLACK rates (The original Uber):
Base fare – P90.00
Per minute – P2.45
Per KM – P13.75
Minimum fare – P120.00
Cancellation Fee – P100.00
uberX (The low cost Uber):
Base fare – P40.00
Per minute – P2.00
Per KM – P5.70
Minimum fare – P40.00
Cancellation fee – P100.00
Pickup location – Provide the pickup location by using the map to drop the pin on your desire location, typing the exact address, or selecting address via search results. When you tap the set pickup location bar, you’ll see the estimated time of arrival for a driver who accepts your ride request.
Destination – After establishing pickup location, enter your destination point. This may be accomplished before or after requesting a ride. It’s the same process as entering your pickup location.
It is possible to change your destination after requesting a ride or while you are on your way.
Request – Tap the request bottom at the bottom of the screen and wait for a driver to accept it. Once a driver-partner accepts your request, you will be able to see your driver’s location on the map and corresponding ETA. You can share your ETA with family and friends to let them know that you are on your way. Stay at the exact pickup location. You will be notified one minute before your driver arrives.
To ensure that you’re getting into the right car, you may check your app to see your driver’s name, vehicle make and model, and license plate number.
Pickup – When your driver arrives, it is advisable to confirm each other’s names and discuss the route that you will take.
It is possible to cancel your trip by notifying the driver. Keep in mind that there is a cancellation fee to compensate driver-partner’s time and effort.
Arrival – When you arrive at your destination, always check your belongings before getting off the vehicle. Since Uber and GrabCar offer cashless experience, your payment account will be charged automatically. The receipt will be emailed to you. Tipping is voluntary.
Rate your driver – You can rate the driver after the trip to help improve the service.
If you own a car (LTFRB requirement is 3 years old or newer), you can earn extra income driving for others at your own convenience. Here’s how:
1. Create a partner profile and specify the city that you want to drive in (i.e. Manila). Select your vehicle type. As of now, these apps do not accept vans and pick-ups. Check corresponding website for a list of accepted vehicles. Uber drivers can either be Partner-Driver (driver who drives his/her own registered car) or a Partner-Operator (car owner with hired driver).
2. Register banking details.
3. Enroll a driver. Requirements include a professional driver’s licence, NBI clearance, and PNP Clearance (for LTFRB Compliance).
4. Enroll a vehicle. Required documents include proof of vehicle registration, proof of insurance, and photos of your vehicle.
5. Attend a driver orientation.
6. After accomplishing the steps above, you will be issued a device that you can use for booking riders.
7. Get LTFRB accreditation.
Photos: “Booking a ride” c/o Pixabay. Public domain; iPhone screencaps by author.