No need to declare state of calamity in Ruby-hit areas, says NDRRMC

Written by

Friday, 12 December 2014 - Last Updated on December 12, 2014

The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said that there is no need to declare state of calamity in areas affected by Typhoon Ruby (international name Hagupit).

“It appears that there is no need to declare the state of national calamity, everything is definitely being handled well and also on the basis of the recommendations of different clusters, it appears that we are able to meet the needs of the affected people,” NDRRMC executive director Alexander Pama said in a Manila Bulletin report.

The typhoon destroyed at least P3.2 billion, affecting mostly the agricultural sector.

An estimate of P1.54 billion worth of palay or unhusked rice was destroyed by the typhoon. Among those that were destroyed include corn crops (P51.71 million), fisheries (P48.22 million), livestock (P6.46 million) and agricultural infrastructure (P34.75 million).

Typhoon Ruby brought havoc to many parts of the country, affecting some 2.7 million people.

So far, 18 has been reported as killed due to the typhoon while 900 were injured, ABS-CBN reported. Most of those killed, the NDRRMC said, were due to drowning.

There are still more than 200,000 families in various evacuation sites, according to a Philippine Star report.

Various organizations are still accepting donations for those who were affected by the typhoon.

Janess Ellao (82 Posts)


Write a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>