The Department of Health (DOH) has reported an all-time low of 384 revelry-related cases from December 21 to 6AM of January 1, 2016. Of the recorded injuries, 380 were caused by fireworks and firecrackers while the four were hit by stray bullets.
In a press conference, health secretary Janette Garin said the number of incidents is 53 percent lower compared last year’s 814 cases and 57 percent lower than the five-year recorded injuries from 2010 to 2014.
“Ëvery year, we see the things that we need to strengthen in order to achieve our goal, and eventually, we do hope that we will attain zero casualties from fireworks/firecrackers during the holidays,” Garin said.
More than half or 219 cases of injuries were caused by ‘piccolo’ or baby dynamite, an illegal firecracker. DOH spokesperson Dr. Lyndon Lee Suy said ‘piccolo’ is a type of firecracker which is accessible to buyers, including children.
Other cases were caused by 5-star with 34 injuries, Luces with 16, and unknown firecrackers with 20 injuries. Overall, a total of 273 or 71 percent of cases were caused by illegal firecrackers, while another 87 (23%) were of legal fireworks.
Hand injuries continue to be the most common case with 246 (65%), followed by 50 eye injuries, 35 head injuries, and 23 cases both in the forearm and legs.
Majority of the cases were recorded in the National Capital Region (NCR) with 243 injuries (63%), followed by Bicol Region with 31 cases (8%), and Calabarzon with 27 cases (7%).
Manila City had the most number of injuries with 73 cases (30%) followed by Quezon City with 46 cases (19%).
The DOH said 244 or 64 percent of the victims are younger than 14 years old.