“On a bad day, there’s always lipstick.”
This saying has more than an ounce of truth in it. Cosmetics and women are a match made in heaven. Make-up can lighten up a bad day anytime and add color to an otherwise dull day. There’s just nothing like the bliss of choosing what eye shadow that will match the day’s outfit or what shade of lipstick will match the handbag.
However, nowadays, one can never be too careful about choosing cosmetics. I remember when I was in college. With my meagre allowance, I never hesitated about buying unknown brands in the tiangge—for me, the cheaper the better. And if I bought a new lipstick for P50, I would consider it a great bargain and congratulate myself for it.
But now that I’m working and can afford to pay a little extra, I try to be more careful of what I put on my face.
So before you pick up that kabuki brush, ask yourself— Is your make-up safe?
A few months back—in February—news reports sprouted warning the public against buying cosmetics—more specifically lipstick–that contain arsenic, lead, and mercury.
Pollution and toxic waste watchdog EcoWaste Coalition screened 70 lipsticks that were sold in the streets of Divisoria and Quiapo and found an alarmingly high level of harmful chemicals in them. 27 of the 70 screened lipsticks were found to contain unsafe levels of heavy metals. The following brands identified were: Baolishi, Monaliza, Kiss Beauty, and Miss Beauty.
Creams are life savers — they cleanse, moisturize, fight aging, and even whiten. But did you know that some of the most “effective” whitening creams are the most dangerous, containing insane levels of mercury?
- Baiyansu Three-in-One Whitening Set;
- Beauty Girl Green Cucumber 6 Days Double Whitening Soft Essence Cream;
- Bihuayn Whitening Day Cream;
- Care Skin Strong Whitening and Spot Removing Package;
- Gakadi Freckle Removing Cream;
- Hengxueqian Whitening Set;
- Huayuenong 12 Days Whitening and Speckle Removing Wrecking Set;
- White Advance Hydroxytyrosol L-Glutathione Whitening and Anti-Aging Cream;
- Yudantang Ginseng and Green Cucumber 10 Days Whitening Speckles Removed Essence;
- Yudantang Green Olive and Papaya Natural Essence 6 Days Specific Eliminating Freckle Whitening Sun Block Cream;
- Yudantang Sea Pearl and Papaya 6 Days Specific Eliminating Freckle Whitening Cream;
- Yudantang Sheep Essence and Green Cucumber and Ginseng 10 Days Specific Eliminating Freckle Spot and Double Whitening Sun Block Cream;
- Yudantang 10 Days Whitening Speckles Removed Essence (with picture of cow and papaya);
- Zyiang Day Cream;
- Whitening Cream, with the rest of the label in Chinese characters); and
- Label in Chinese characters, gold package with picture of red flower with three green leaves;
- Erna Whitening Cream
Cheap does not mean unsafe
While ‘cheap’ do not automatically translate to being toxic, it should make one wary. According to reports, lipsticks with toxic ingredients were being sold at P70 to P80. The creams were sold at P60 to P80. No wonder it’s been selling like hotcakes! But wiser consumers tend to have nagging doubts and suspicions about these too-good-to-be-true bargains.
The ‘legit’ brands being sold in the malls are definitely more than a hundred a pop. But if you can afford to pay a little extra, it’s better to be safe than sorry.
Because in the end, the money you saved are not worth the risk.
Image from www.photo-dictionary.com. Some rights reserved.