Collars were invented in the early 90s, specifically to complement men’s button-downs. The first collars were detachable until they evolved into fabrics embedded into the button-downs. Collars have since become popular, becoming part and parcel of formal and casual attires, as well as being made from different kind of fabrics, and evolving into various designs and sizes.
Nowadays, collared garments are widely being used in the fashion industry for both sexes. But if those starchy colors are getting too bland and blah for you, you can always spice things up with DIY embellished collars! Give your grand mom’s vintage button downs a makeover by embellishing the collar with stones or buttons.
Here’s how you can create your own detachable embellished collar
You will need:
- Button down top with collar, detached collar.
- Flat back stones
- Glue gun
- Glue stick
- Prepare the needle and the thread and do not forget to place a knot at the bottom part of the thread to avoid losing the embellished stones.
- Iron the collar.
- Position your flat back stones according to your desired design.
- Once you have plotted the positioning of the stones, you can take a photo of it for you to remember how the design looks like, then remove all of the stones placed on the collar.
- Get the first stone, apply the glue and put it on your desired area and then sew it properly. If you can sew it several times to secure it, then do so.
- Start embellishing from the pointy bottom part of the collar to the middle part /the back of the neck area and make sure that the spacing and design on the right side corresponds in the left side too. Now, you’re already done and you can match your stylish button down shirt with any fashionable piece in your closet.
- It is important for you to place a knot once you finish sewing each stone
Here are some pointers to make your DIY project a sure success:
- For the detached collar, you can cut it from a shirt that you are not using or you can make one by yourself (you can do it!). Just follow a pattern which you can easily download online.
- If you are an expert in sewing, then you can put real gems or even pearls. You just have to take note that rounded beads easily slip and you need to make sure that you secure them properly. You wouldn’t like your outfit to look sloppy, would you?
- When applying glue, just put the adequate amount. Extra glue wouldn’t look nice on your sparkling collar.
- Check the thread if it is durable enough to hold the gems, beads or flat back stones. The thicker the strands of the thread, the better!
- Make sure that the positioning of the stones on both sides are balanced for your outfit to look clean and stylish.
- If you are not sure about your sewing skills, then you can practice sewing the flat back stones to a used cloth/shirt.
Just follow each step carefully and for sure, you will be able to enjoy your embellished collar. Do you already have a design in mind? Don’t hesitate to use different materials aside from stones, beads or gems. You can also use lace, ropes, sequins, glitters and other art materials just as long as you know how to secure them properly on your preferred collar design. This is a fun way to refresh your artsy skills and make a fashion statement of your own.
All Photos by author, except for 2nd photo