Government agencies have been preparing as typhoon Butchoy (international name Nepartak) finally enters the Philippine Area of Responsibility on Tuesday afternoon, July 5.
In a report, National Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (NDRRMC) executive director Ricardo Jalad said local government units (LGUs) in affected areas were alerted to take necessary preparations as “Butchoy” will enhance the southwest monsoon or Habagat in the next few days.
NDRRMC held its first Pre-Disaster Risk Assessment with its core members last Monday to prepare for the possible hazards that Butchoy would cause in the next days.
According to Philippine Atmospheric and Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA), Butchoy won’t make landfall in the Philippines. However, floods and landslides are still expected in the provinces of Bataan, Zambales and Pangasinan due to Habagat.
Jalad said the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) already sent out directives which activates what its calls “Oplan Alisto.”
“Oplan Alisto” is disaster preparedness manual for city mayors and other local government disaster management agencies. It contains a to-do list before, during and after typhoons.
According to Allan Tabel, of the DILG Central Office Disaster Information Coordinating Center there are at least 10 regions that had been placed under the Alpha Alert as of Monday, July 4.
Under Alpha Alert, “the city mayors should have issued necessary directives, convened Local Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Councils and should have prepared administrative and logistical support,” the report said.
The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) has already prepositioned relief goods and supplies in areas expected to be affected by “Butchoy.”
DSWD Secretary Judy Taguiwalo said there are already 31,434 family food packs in Cebu City ready to be delivered to LGUs in Central Visayas that may be affected by the typhoon. In Bohol, 670 family food packs have been prepositioned. There are also some
11,400 food packs allotted for local government units in Trinidad, Tubigon and Carlos P. Garcia in Bohol; Canlaon City and Mabinay, Negros Oriental; and the municipalities of Poro and Pilar in Cebu, the report said.
Aside from readily packed relief goods, DSWD also prepared contingency plans. The DSWD-Field Office VII, which manages the Visayas Disaster Hub in Cebu also has a standby funds worth P3 million to be used for purchasing of emergency relief supplies.
There are also DSWD personnel, including Quick Response Teams (QRTs) and trained stress debriefers that are on standby for deployment.
The social welfare secretary ensured that “everything is in place in anticipation of Typhoon Butchoy.”
According to Pagasa, Metro Manila, Mimaropa, Calabarzon, Bicol region, Western Visayas and the provinces of Bataan, Zambales, La Union and Pangasinan will experience cloudy skies with moderate to occasionally heavy rains and thunderstorms which may trigger flashfloods and landslides from Thursday to Friday. It is expected to exit PAR by Friday afternoon.