Category Archives: Breaking News

Comelec submits 2nd comment on Poe disqualification case at SC

Tuesday, 12 January 2016 | Written by

The Commission on Elections (Comelec) on Monday filed its second comment before the Supreme Court on Sen. Grace Poe’s petition against the poll body’s resolution to disqualify her from the presidential race. The second comment on Poe’s appeal against lawyer Estrella “Star” Elamparo’s petition to disqualify her was signed by Comelec chair Andres Bautista and all six commissioners, according to…Read More »

German ‘Kuya Germs’ Moreno passes away

Saturday, 9 January 2016 | Written by

Prominent comedian and television host German “Kuya Germs” Moreno passed away early Friday morning. He was 82. Morena died past 3 a.m. Friday morning due to cardiac arrest at the St. Luke’s Medical Center in Quezon City, according to reports. Moreno’s last public event was GMA’s New Year’s Day countdown. In a statement, GMA Network said it “deeply mourns with…Read More »

P1 billion for contraceptives slashed from 2016 budget

Friday, 8 January 2016 | Written by

The P1-billion allocation for artificial contraceptives this year was slashed from the 2016 budget, the Department of Health (DOH) revealed earlier this week. DOH Secretary Janette Garin said the health department had earmarked P1 billion out of its proposed budget of P124 billion for 2016, adding however that the allocation was removed at the bicameral conference level. “We really had…Read More »

OFW Joselito Zapanta executed in Saudi Arabia

Wednesday, 30 December 2015 | Written by

An overseas Filipino worker (OFW) was executed in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia on Tuesday (Dec. 29), according to the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA). Joselito Zapanta, 35, was charged with murder of a Sudanese national in 2009 and was executed after the victim’s family refused to sign the Affidavit of Forgiveness (Tanazul) in exchange for blood money. He was…Read More »

SC issues TROs on Poe’s disqualification

Monday, 28 December 2015 | Written by

The Supreme Court on Monday issued temporary restraining orders (TROs) on two Commission on Elections (Comelec) rulings disqualifying Sen. Grace Poe from the 2016 presidential race. SC spokesman Theodore Te said Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno approved the recommendations by members-in-charge Associate Justices Mariano del Castillo and Marvic Leonen to issue TROs on the Comelec’s decision nullifying Poe’s certificate of…Read More »

Bishops urge resumption of gov’t peace talks with NDF

Sunday, 27 December 2015 | Written by

The largest ecumenical group of church leaders in the country has urged the government and the communist-led National Democratic Party of the Philippines (NDFP) to resume the peace talks in the spirit of Christmas. In a joint statement released Thursday, the Philippine Ecumenical Peace Platform (PEPP) emphasized the urgency “to take actions that would prevent the conflict from becoming more…Read More »

Aquino OKs ceasefire with Reds until Jan. 3

Sunday, 20 December 2015 | Written by

President Aquino has approved the suspension of military operations (SOMO) against the communist New People’s Army (NPA) in observance of the holiday season. Palace Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma said the ceasefire will commence at 12:01 a.m. of December 23, and will end at 11:59 p.m. of January 3, 2016. “President Aquino has approved the recommendation of the Department of National…Read More »

CHR may quiz Duterte’s over claim on extrajudicial killings

Sunday, 13 December 2015 | Written by

The Commission on Human Rights (CHR) is mulling the creation of a special panel that will probe Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte’s public admission that he had executed 700 people, according to a Philstar.com report. CHR chairman Chito Gascon said it is already reviewing its records to check cases filed against Duterte, who is running for president in 2016. CHR…Read More »

2016 polls may be postponed – Comelec; solon hits lack of preps

Tuesday, 8 December 2015 | Written by

The Commission on Elections (Comelec) said on Monday that it is not discounting the possibility of postponing the May 2016 elections due to the high court’s temporary restraining orer (TRO) on the “No Bio, No Boto” policy. In a Manila Bulletin report, Comelec Chairman Andres Bautista said the Supreme Court’s TRO has “material impact” on their preparations since finalizing the…Read More »

Page 5 of 20« First...34567...1020...Last »