Category Archives: Breaking News

Typhoon “Ruby” makes landfall with heavy rains, lashing winds; one million evacuated

Sunday, 7 December 2014 | Written by

Almost one million people have evacuated from the path of powerful typhoon “Ruby” (international name: Hagupit) as it slammed into the eastern Philippines, affecting areas devastated by super typhoon Haiyan 13 months ago. As of 7:00 am today, “Ruby” was located in the vicinity of Calbayog, Western Samar with maximum sustained winds of 160 kph near the center and gustiness of…Read More »

Typhoon “Ruby” slightly weakened, five landfalls expected – PAGASA

Saturday, 6 December 2014 | Written by

The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) announced in its latest weather bulletin that tropical cyclone ‘Ruby’ has slightly weakened as it continues to threaten Samar provinces in Eastern Visayas. PAGASA weather forecaster Chris Perez said in a DZMM radio report that “Ruby” is expected to make landfall Sunday early morning over Eastern Samar. “Ruby” will bring heavy…Read More »

Super typhoon Hagupit enters PAR, threatens Haiyan-hit areas

Friday, 5 December 2014 | Written by

Super typhoon Ruby (international name Hagupit) entered the Philippine Area of Responsibility (PAR) Thursday morning as storm warning signals were raised over 21 areas mostly battered by super typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan) last year. Government agencies have been placed on red alert as evacuation has been ordered over areas to be hit by the super typhoon. Storm surge warnings have also…Read More »

Condoms in Laude crime scene not used by Pemberton, DNA test shows

Sunday, 30 November 2014 | Written by

The condoms found in the motel room where transgender Jennifer Laude was found dead do not bear the DNA of US Private First Class Joseph Scott Pemberton, according to the results of the test requested by the Laude camp. Laude’s legal counsel Atty. Virgie Suarez said the DNA mismatch shows that Pemberton, the main suspect in the murder case, did…Read More »

9 convicted for 1996 Ozone disco tragedy; 4 acquitted

Saturday, 22 November 2014 | Written by

An anti-graft court on Thursday finally convicted 7 Quezon City engineering officials and two businessmen in connection with the fire at the Ozone Disco Club in Quezon City that killed 162 people eighteen years ago. In its decision, the engineering officials and Ozone Disco Club operators will face up to 10 years prison time for failing to detect structural deficiencies…Read More »

‘Vital’ witnesses’ in Maguindanao massacre ambushed, 1 dead

Thursday, 20 November 2014 | Written by

One of the key witnesses in the Maguindanao massacre case was killed while another one was wounded during an ambush last Tuesday in Shariff Aguak town in Maguindanao, just days before the fifth year commemoration of the worst election-related killing in the country. In an Inquirer.net report, Maguindanao Gov. Esmael Mangudadatu confirmed the incident, saying the witnesses were shot at…Read More »

China, US clinch climate deal after APEC Summit

Friday, 14 November 2014 | Written by

In a landmark move, the US and China has pledged to cut greenhouse gas emissions following the closing of the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) regional summit in Beijing. The historic deal was jointly announced in the Chinese capital by President Barack Obama and President Xi Jinping after a series of talks, fueling hopes for a global climate pact by…Read More »

House okays P2.6T 2015 budget with ‘errata’

Thursday, 30 October 2014 | Written by

The House of Representatives on Wednesday night approved on third and final reading the P2.606-trillion national budget for 2015 despite the minority bloc’s attempt to block its passage. With the vote of 198 House lawmakers, the national budget will now be transmitted to the Senate after three months of deliberations. Eighteen lawmakers led by members of the Makabayan bloc meanwhile…Read More »

36% believe Aquino’s “Tuwid na Daan” is a failure; Palace questions survey results

Tuesday, 14 October 2014 | Written by

Thirty-six percent or more than 1 out of 3 Filipinos believe President Aquino has failed to deliver his “Tuwid na Daan” promise while 29 percent believe otherwise, according to a recent Pulse Asia survey. The nationwide survey, which was conducted last September 8-15, also found out that 34 percent of Filipinos are undecided when asked if Aquino fulfilled his promise…Read More »

Gov’t revives SIM card registration proposal

Monday, 6 October 2014 | Written by

The Department of Justice (DOJ) has supported several measures proposing the registration of prepaid Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) cards but expressed reservations on a proposed House Bill mandating the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) and requiring telcos to equip all phones issued to postpaid users with “kill-switch” software to enhance security and privacy of mobile phone users. In a letter addressed…Read More »

Page 12 of 20« First...1011121314...20...Last »